Coding for iPhone HTML/CSS/Javascript


Coding for the iPhone/iPad what do I use? Why do I use it?

My list for coding Lockscreens, and Springboards are

Sublime 2
Safari
Firefox
DreamWeaver

    Sublime: This is the program I use the most. Very nice program, that will display your code in colors. This is very nice for people who code over long periods. If you think black text on white background sucks try this. Easily read, and configured. 

     Safari: Without safari I would not be able to test my project. So every time I open Sublime I will open Safari as well. iPhone lockscreens are small in safari so you can minimize it to be right beside Sublime.

Dreamweaver: Alot of you may wonder why this isnt at the top. Its A full on coder/view best application for coding.  Well I don't think so. I used dreamweaver for a long time, and I still do. But for my projects I start with Sublime and I end with Sublime. Only thing I will use dreamweaver for is css styles. Most of these are accurate, and no need to switch between windows to see if a text moved 5px.

Things I dislike about Dreamweaver. You can have a non structured html and it still works. example you can have 10 <body>'s in it and it will still work. If you open the same project in safari it will not.
Ive had this happen multiple times when using Dreamweaver alone. Finishing a complete project then ****. So just some reasons I dislike it.

Firefox: This is not necessary.  I use it to troubleshoot my javascript or jquery. It has alot  better  console, and is just easier for me to use.

Most Important is an iPhone or iPad to test on. Some things we code for the iOS devices will not even work in Safari. example: Accelorometer, Shake, Touch, Slide etc... To test these I use ifile
iFile is great for testing widgets before you apply in Winterboard. 1 great thing is you dont have to respring to see new updates. All you have to do is close the html in ifile and reopen it. Saves alot of time.

Conclusion: When coding using the devices abilities. Shake, Accel, Touch etc. It will be a pain in the ass!! lol but be patient you can do it. And the result will be amazing.  Learn to code! I say this cause I jumped in just as you guys. Not writing any code, but using others. Although this helped me learn html and css a bit. It held me back even more. Meaning I couldn't do anything that someone hasn't done first. Plus half the time I didn't know what I was doing. Which lead to very terrible code. Once I took the time to learn Javasript, Jquery, Css, and Html. A whole different world opened up.  Research, go to the library, bunches of ways to learn. Plus im always here. Also I have put tutorials on bAdGB.com to get you started;) 


Do you code? What do you use. Please comment below








"Comments on dreamweaver"

  1. Dreamweaver is for sissies. My biggest complaint against Dreamweaver is that most users will “write” their code using the visual tools. With little or no understanding of what they’re actually doing, the “developers” drag-and-drop tables, widgets, and god-only-knows what else onto a page and publish it to the web. While this sounds like a good idea in theory (anyone can build a website!), the reality is that the end-result is an unstable piece of garbage. Dreamweaver doesn’t teach the developer anything about good coding practices, and it undermines the idea that well-trained web development professionals should be paid appropriately for their skills.
  2. Dreamweaver generates terrible code. When I say that the end-result of Dreamweaver site is an unstable piece of garbage, I mean that the code Dreamweaver generates is not even close to W3C compliant. This is a really big deal because the worst-case scenario (which happens on a regular basis) is that your website doesn’t work in different browsers. When I look at the source code for a webpage, I can tell within about five seconds if it was written in Dreamweaver. It’s so obvious when I see things like FONT tags in about 700 places. . . any good web developer would be using CSS to control that.
  3. Dreamweaver encourages bad habits. Speaking of CSS, Dreamweaver encourages you to put CSS definitions in the page itself. From an architectural standpoint, this is just plain dumb – but since Dreamweaver makes no attempt to teach developers how to propertly structure a website, I’m not at all surprised. What’s worse is that this bad habit has a negative impact on how fast a webpage loads, so in effect Dreamweaver is making your website suck. If you have large website, magnify this problem (and similar situations) exponentially and you can see how bad it might get. Your visitors will get tired of waiting for your crappy site to load and leave. 
More

No comments:

Post a Comment