iRSS iWidget V2 is a (free) update to iRSS iWidget. It gives the user even more control over the RSS feed, and the ability to match any theme.
When creating widgets it is tough to make things very simple, yet not restricting the options available. iRSS is no exception to this.
You will see things such as rgba(255,255,255,0.8) and 0 8px 6px -6px rgba(0,0,0,0.8). I know not everyone knows what this is, so I will try to explain as best as I can. It's really simple I promise.
-rgba(255,255,255,0.8) is set by default for the rss background. RGBA means red, green, blue, alpha. Think of alpha as opacity. Basically all this means is, it gives a white background at .8 opacity.
0.8 - If you don't know what opacity is, this is if your background is see through or solid. In code when opacity set to 1 this will mean you can not see through it, 0.9 you can see through it a little bit, 0.8 a little more. This goes all the way down to 0.1, which would barely show the background.
255,255,255 mean white. rgb scale is from 0 to 255. Right now our red, green, blue values are set to 255 and will show a white background. To show black it would be 0,0,0. For other colors you can use this great online tool. http://www.colorpicker.com/
If that is too much to understand just type the word of the color you want. The background will turn to that color, but you will lose the ability to change the opacity. To remove the background just type transparent.
-0 8px 6px -6px rgba(0,0,0,0.8) is set for the background shadow. Since we already know about rgba(0,0,0,0.8), we will concentrate on -0 8px 6px -6px. Below is each value explained from left to right. More explanation here. http://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/css-box-shadow/
The vertical offset of the shadow, a negative one means the box-shadow will be above the box, a positive one means the shadow will be below the box.
The blur radius (optional), if set to 0 the shadow will be sharp, the higher the number, the more blurred it will be.
The spread radius (optional), positive values increase the size of the shadow, negative values decrease the size. Default is 0 (the shadow is same size as blur).
If you don't want a shadow at all just type none.
That's the most difficult parts, which are only 2 of the options provided.
- RSS feed (choose from a list the rss feed to display)
- Enter your own rss (type a url to retrieve rss feed)
- Title Color (type a color or use an rgba value)
- Feed Color (type a color or use an rgba value)
- Date Color (type a color or use an rgba value)
- Show Date (switch to turn date on and off)
- Show Desc (switch to turn desc on and off)
- Show Title (switch to turn title on and off)
- Title character length (limit the number of characters shown)
- Desc character length (limit the number of characters show)
- Font Size (change global font size)
- Title Size (change title font size)
- Date Size (change date font size)
- BGColor (covered above)
- Background radius (adds curved edges to the background)
- BGShadow (covered above)
- Alignment (Aligns text left, center, right)
- Refresh Interval (speed the rss feed rotates feeds)
If you have any questions my Twitter is @JunesiPhone
Previous Article - miWeather iOS8